Wednesday 15 April 2015

Thirty years (war)

Today is my thirtieth birthday. This seemed like the perfect excuse for me to present one of my (many) side projects: Thirty Year's War in 10mm.

The Thirty Year's War is a very interesting and complex conflict, which is part of the stuff I research professionally. As a bonus, it's a very rich topic for wargamers due to the numerous large battles and dynamic campaigns involved.

For over a year, I've been toying around with the idea of building two opposing forces for this conflict. Inspired by the work of Sigur on the Warlord Games forum, I decided to go with 10mm miniatures from Pendraken and Old Glory. These minis are lovely, being very detailed yet small and simple enough to paint so that I can easily create large and visually appealing formations.

Here is the first such formation, the Swedish Västgöta cavalry regiment:

The full regiment - 8 stands with each representing roughly 50 men




My long-term aim is to model the Swedish and Imperial armies that fought at Lützen in 1632. The scale I use is approximately 1 miniature = 15-20 men. Even with this scale and 10mm miniatures this is quite a large project, which is why I'm approaching this more as a nice side project which to engage in when I feel inspired to paint some TYW stuff. Right now it looks like you'll be seeing more of this in the near future :)

Supporting literature

No comments:

Post a Comment